Become a Volunteer Deputy Registrar
VOLUNTEER AS A DEPUTY REGISTRAR
If you are interested in serving the community by registering voters, please join our team of amazing volunteers. Volunteer Deputy Registrars are entrusted with the responsibility of officially registering voters in the State of Texas. They are appointed by county voter registrars and charged with helping increase voter registration in the state.
A VOLUNTEER DEPUTY REGISTRAR MAY:
- Accept applications for voter registration from residents of Kaufman County who are not already registered to vote.
- Accept change forms from registered voters who wish to change information on their voter registration certificates.
- Hand out applications for requesting replacements of missing voter registration certificates.
- Help an applicant fill out the registration application if the applicant cannot read or has a physical disability.
- A person must be 18 years of age or older
- Be a United States citizen
- Not have been determined by final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated, or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote
- Not have been finally convicted of a felony, or if convicted, must have fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote
- Never been convicted of failing to deliver a voter registration application to a voter registrar
LENGTH OF APPOINTMENTS
You may be appointed a deputy voter registrar at any time. However, your appointment as a deputy voter registrar automatically :
- You fail to deliver a completed voter registration application to the registrar by the 5th day after the date received
- If you fail to properly review a voter registration application
- If you intentionally destroy or physically alter a voter registration application
All election materials issued to a deputy registrar, including the certificate of appointment, receipt books, receipts, applications and other forms in the volunteer deputy’s possession, must be returned or accounted for upon termination of appointment.
HOW TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER DEPUTY REGISTAR or RENEW YOUR APPOINTMENT:
Classes are conducted EACH Tuesday at 10 a.m., excluding holidays and the election cycle (30 days before or 14 days after Election Day), BY APPOINTMENT at the Kaufman County Elections Department, 3001 S. Washington St., Kaufman, TX 75142. To register, please call 469-376-4595
We are excited to add evening sessions for 2023 to accommodate larger groups and individuals who cannot attend a 10 am session. Our evening sessions will be held the first (1st) Thursday of each month at 6pm, at the Kaufman County Library, 3790 S Houston St., Kaufman, TX 75142. Pre-registration is required for these sessions as seating is limited. Classes will not be held if no attendee’s register. To register, please call 469-376-4595.
Please call 469-376-4595 for information regarding available training dates, times and location.
If you are a registered VDR in another Texas County you do not need to retake the exam. However, you must make an appointment with our office in order to be deputized.