How do I report a crime?

Any crime should always be reported to your local law enforcement agency. The Criminal District Attorney’s Office is not a direct referral agency.

If you live in a city or town, that report would be made to your local police department. If the crime is committed outside a city or town, or in an area of the county where the Sheriff’s Office patrols, your report should be made to the Kaufman County Sheriff’s Office. Of course, if your report is an emergency, call 911.

Show All Answers

1. What is a district attorney’s office?
2. How do I report a crime?
3. What happens when a law enforcement agency files a case with the Criminal District Attorney’s Office?
4. What is a grand jury and what does it do?
5. What is a plea bargain and how does the process work?
6. How can charges be dropped in a criminal case?
7. Can a witness refuse to testify?
8. When a case goes to trial, who determines if the defendant is guilty or innocent?
9. The defendant has been found guilty, now what?
10. Once the defendant’s punishment had been decided, is that the end of the case?
11. Are all cases argued before the appellate court?
12. If the defendant’s conviction is affirmed, may he seek other relief?